Skip to Main Content

For coronavirus information for the UCLA community, please visit the Ashe Center website and UCLA’s information page.

UCLA Immunization Requirement

Can I request a personal belief or religious belief exemption for the standard Immune Requirements (MMR, Varicella, Tdap, or Meningococcal)?

No. Only medical exemptions are allowed. Students with a medical condition that is a contraindication to vaccination for the following vaccines: MMR, Varicella, Tdap, or Meningococcal conjugate will need to have their provider complete the Medical Exemption form.

Do I need to comply with the immunization requirements if I am a former UCLA undergraduate and now entering graduate school?

Yes. All incoming students will need to comply -- even if you previously attended UCLA.

Are there any exempt programs/majors?

Students who are a part of the following self-supporting programs do not have access to The Ashe Center, including the Patient Portal, and therefore are not subject to the immunization requirements.

  • EMBA (Executive MBA)
  • GEMBA (Global Executive MBA)
  • ELP (Education Leadership Program)
  • MPHHP (Master of Public health for Health Professionals)
  • MSE (Master of Science Engineering)

How do I submit my Medical Exemption form?

Print the Medical Exemption form and bring it to your provider to complete.

Once the form is completed, log into the Patient Portal by clicking the link in the top right corner of the screen. Select “Messages” and chose the “Immunization Requirement Question” option. In the body of the message, indicate that you are requesting a Medical Exemption and upload your completed medical exemption form by using the “Add attachment...” feature.

Medical exemption requests are reviewed by the Medical Director and updated manually by Ashe Staff in the Medical Clearances section.

Note: You will only hear back from Ashe if your exemption is NOT approved.

What if the vaccine/titer is not available in my country?

You should still complete all other vaccines and/or testing, and submit your documents by the formal deadline. International Students studying remotely out of country will be granted extensions for vaccines that are not available in their location. If you will remain outside the United States for the fall quarter and can’t get your required vaccinations, first check the medical clearances section to see if you have already been given an exemption. If not, contact us through the patient portal. Choose Messages, New Messages, then Immunization Requirement Question. Let us know about your situation and we will work with you to avoid an enrollment hold.

Can I request a personal belief or religious belief exemption for the 2020-2021 seasonal influenza vaccine?

Yes. Religious belief exemptions are allowed for the 2020-2021 seasonal influenza vaccine. Students will need to complete the Religious Accommodation Request Form and upload it to the Patient Portal.